Today I’m going to talk about one of my absolute favorite topics. Chocolate!
Not just any chocolate but most importantly dark chocolate and why it is so beneficial for you. I recently read an article online that stated that eating chocolate regularly improves brain function. As a devoted chocolate lover, this was all I needed to hear. If you’d like to check out the whole article, click here.
Why is dark chocolate so good for you anyways?
While milk and white chocolate have a creamier and smoother taste, they aren’t as beneficial. Mostly because of all the additives, like milk, sugar, and cream. It appears that milk interferes with the absorption of antioxidants from the chocolate. So if you want to get all the benefits, stick to dark chocolate. (source) If you want to make sure you get all the perks from dark chocolate choose one with cacao percentage of 70 or higher.
Many studies have proven that dark chocolate is good for you and here are just some of the reasons why:
- Lowers blood pressure and improves blood flow to the brain and the heart.
- A powerful antioxidant which means slowing the aging process and protecting your body from cancer.
- Dark chocolate will also lower your risk of cavities, all because of the theobromine ingredient which is also known to harden enamel.
- It is packed with minerals such as copper, magnesium, iron, potassium, and zinc.
- Scientists have proven that dark chocolate is way more filling and it lessens cravings for salty, sweet and fatty foods.
- Reduces stress. People who ate 1oz of chocolate each day tend to feel less stressed out.
So there you have it, dark chocolate is like one of those magical things that not only tastes amazing, but it is really good for you.