Many years ago I had glue-in hair extensions, and I loved it. Having long hair completely changed my appearance to a more girly, feminine look (here is an old photo of me with black hair+hair extensions). Glue in hair extensions were great because they stayed in my hair for at least 3-4 months. The downside was having to go to a salon that would put them on for me and then take them out when my hair grew. Even though I loved my long hair look, I didn’t like the little amount of flexibility that came with it. I found a better option – clip in hair extensions. I can clip them on and off without help from a hair stylist, and it takes less than 5 minutes. Below I’m sharing my simple process of applying clip in hair extensions.
I’m using these extensions by Irresistible Me. These extensions are 100% human Remy hair, which means you can even color them to match your own hair. Having good quality hair extensions is essential in achieving a good and natural look. I chose the 18in Royal Light red 200g which includes:
- 1 piece of 4 clips
- 2 pieces of 3 clips
- 5 pieces of 2 clips
- 2 pieces of 1 clip
In this post, I’m using the 1 piece of 4 clips, 2 pieces of 2 clips and 1 piece of 3 clips, but depending on how much thickness you want added to your hair you can always use more or less.
How to Clip In Hair Extensions
- Brush and pre-style your hair and the wefts before applying them.
- Separate a thin section of your hair at the nape of your neck and clip the rest of the hair.
- Open the clips by applying pressure on each side of the clip with your thumbs on the first piece of weft (I used the 3 clips).
Always apply the middle clip first then move to the sides.
- Repeat step #3 and use a 4 piece clip on top.
- Repeat step #3 and apply a 3 clip piece on top of the 4 clip piece.
- Separate a thin section of hair higher above the ear and apply one of the 2 clips weft.
If you have very thin hair you may want to add 2 clips weft on the sides, instead of one. My hair is pretty thick, so one was enough for me.
- Style your hair to match the hair extensions, my extensions were wavy, so I added a bit waves to my straightened hair.
Done! Quick and easy.
In collaboration with Irresistible Me.